International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA)
All interstate and inter-jurisdictional carriers that travel in IFTA member jurisdictions with a qualified motor vehicle must file fuel taxes through the International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA). IFTA member jurisdictions include all contiguous states (except Alaska and the District of Columbia) and Canadian provinces (except Northwest Territories, Nunavut, and the Yukon Territory).
A "qualified motor vehicle" means a motor vehicle used, designed, or maintained for the transportation of persons or property and:
- Has two axles and a gross vehicle weight or registered weight exceeding 26,000 pounds or 11,797 kilograms;
- Has three or more axles regardless of weight;
- Used in combination when the weight of such combination exceeds 26,000 pounds or 11,797 kilograms gross vehicle weight, or registered gross vehicle weight.
- Qualified motor vehicle does not include recreational vehicles and vehicles owned by the U.S. Government.
▲ Back to TOP
FAQs on International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA):
Frequently Asked Questions - Click the blue bars to review your FAQ's.
When do I need to register for International Fuel Tax agreement?
- Your vehicle(s) are registered with GA IRP.
- Your vehicle(s) has more than two axles and a gross vehicle weight or registered vehicle weight gross weight exceeding 26,000 pounds or 11,797 kilograms; or
- Your vehicle has three or more axles, regardless of weight; and
- You travel in jurisdictions outside the state of Georgia.
What all is required to apply for IFTA license and decals?
IFTA Application, Secretary of State Corporation or Fictitious Name papers (if applicable) and proof of Georgia based license plate(s).
How can I apply for IFTA license and decals?
On our electronic filing site, by mail, fax, in person.
How long is my IFTA license and decals valid for?
IFTA license and decals are valid for a calendar year from January 1 through December 31. There is a grace period from January 1 – February.
What is the cost of IFTA license and decals?
Decals are $3.00 per set.
How and when do I renew my license?
In late August of each year, you will receive a notice to renew your license and order necessary decals for the coming year. You can renew online, by mail or in person.
How can I order additional IFTA decals?
Online, by mail, in person.
Where can I get information on quarterly fuel tax returns?
At the Georgia Tax Center (GTC). We are pleased to offer this new customer-facing application.
If you have Sales & Use Tax or Withholding Income Tax responsibilities or file these taxes on behalf of others, this site contains valuable information for you. Please click on the link to review the information: Georgia Tax Center (GTC).
▲ Back to TOP